Wednesday, August 01, 2007

"Mutant Readers, Reading Mutants"...

Click on the title to read "Mutant Readers, Reading Mutants: Appropriation, Assimilation, and the X-Men", a paper I wrote a couple years ago and which was published in the International Journal of Comic Art 8.2 (Fall 2006), pages 387-405. It's unavailable through the IJOCA website, so I've uploaded it to Academia.edu. (I'm not sure whether that means you'll need an account to access it, though.)

Updated:
Also, if you're going to read "Mutant Readers...", I'd like to suggest that you also read a brief follow-up piece from my brief-but-ongoing 'X-Men and Identity' series, which was inspired by Jason Powell's (accurate) observation that I had ignored parts (albeit small parts) of the X-Men's history that challenged my thesis. Just click here to read it. While I stand behind most of the original argument - the X-Men have not been an anti-oppressive force for most of their existence - it's unfair to ignore the moments where they have been. (I also link to some of Jason's own writing, which is worth checking out.) Those moments also provide an explanation of why the X-Men have been unable to live up to their stated goals and of the (often external) limits to superhero radicalism. It's a necessary addendum to the older paper, I think, so check it out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dang it, I've tried clicking on the essay title three times and each time it hasn't worked!

Don't worry, though I'll keep trying. I'm just THAT dedicated a Shyminsky fan.

neilshyminsky said...

Ugh. Apparently the problem is that Geocities doesn't like it when you link a directly to a file like I have - it wants me to redirect you to an index page where you can click on the pdf, presumably because that's the only way they can slip an advertisement in. I'll create a little index page and relink it in the morning, but I need some sleep first.

neilshyminsky said...

Okay, it should work now. I can't be totally sure because in previewing it.... I exceeded the data transfer allowance. *groan*